Major Declaration

How do I know which major is the most suitable for me?

Before making decision of major declaration, you can explore your aptitude and interest in first year by taking courses in different disciplines. If you have problems on choosing major, you are recommended to seek professional advice from Pre-major Faculty Advisor or Student Advising Officer. You can have their contacts by clicking here. Meanwhile, you are strongly advised to have more understanding of each majors by attending inductions and obtaining information from School's and Departments' websites.

What should I consider when choosing a major?

Apart from personal aptitude and interest, it is very important for you to ensure you can fulfill all corresponding pre-requisites before major declaration. Pre-requisites are stated in Major Requirements which can be checked here.

When should I declare a major?

You can declare major during the period from March 3 to April 25 in first year the earliest.


What is the procedure of major declaration?

You can refer to here.

Is it possible for me to change major?

It is possible but subject to a strong reason and fulfillment of major pre-requisites. You are also recommended to have discussion with your Faculty Mentor before making this decision.

Can I enroll in more than one major program from the same Science department/division?

No, you can enroll in at most one major program from the same Science department/division only.

What degree will I get if I have additional majors from different Schools?

The degree (BSc/BEng/BBA) you earn corresponds to your first major, irrespective of whether you have any additional major.

What requirement do I need to satisfy in order to graduate with an additional major?

You need to satisfy its program requirements (but not school requirements, if any), with at least 20 single-counted credits that cannot be used to fulfill any other requirements for graduation except for the 120-credit degree requirements. In addition, if your additional major is a Science program, your additional major program director may:
a.      Waive your 3-credit program specific English language requirement, based on the fact that you already have a total of 12-credit English language requirement from your first major.
b.      Require you to do a capstone project of the additional major, or substitute it by that of your first major if appropriate.

Graduation Requirements

What are the general graduation requirements for 4-year bachelor degree?

To gain an award of a bachelor’s degree, you are required to:

  • Earn at least 120 credits in approved courses, or through credit transfer
  • Complete the requirement of University Common Core
  • Complete the University English language requirement
  • Complete School requirement
  • Complete requirement for at least one major

What are the requirements of University Common Core?

You are required to take totally 36 credits of common core courses in different areas. You can refer to here for more details.


When should I start taking common core courses?

You are recommended to start taking common core course in the first term of your first-year study.

What is University English language requirement?

All students are required to complete a 12-credit University English language requirement. Details of requirement can be found at here.

Class Enrollment

How can I register a course?

You can do it online in Student Information System (SIS) which can be accessed from myPortal.

What should I do if I found difficulties when using Student Information System (SIS)?

Students can visit the website of  Academic Records and Registration Office at http://arr.ust.hk/sis  or email them at sishelp@ust.hk
You can also visit the FAQ on SIS for Students. 

What is add/drop period?

Add/drop period is scheduled at the beginning of each term and last for two weeks. During this period, you can make changes to your course registration and changes made will not be included in the student's record.

Can I add or withdraw a course after add/drop period?

Requests to add a course or to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period will not be accepted, except under extenuating circumstances, and require the approval of the relevant Dean or the Dean’s designate.

Where can I get more information of each course?

Course information is available in online course catalog.

How many credits should I take in each term?

We recommend that you take an average of 16 credits in each regular Term (except Winter and Summer Term). Normally you should NOT take fewer than 12 credits. If you want to take more than 18 credits, you will need strong reasons and special approval from relevant Dean or the Dean's designate and your Pre-major Faculty Advisor.

Can I withdraw from a pre-registered course?

We DO NOT RECOMMEND that student withdraw from any pre-registered course, as it might jeopardize your progress and you may miss some pre-requisites to declare major afterward. You should talk to our Student Advising Officer at SCI/HOME if you have any difficulty.

Minor Program

What minor programs are available in HKUST?

Minor program list and their requirements are available in the online program catalog.

How to register for a minor program?

Registration for a minor requires the approval of the Minor-program Coordinator. A form of Declaration of Undergraduate Minor Program can be downloaded from the Academic Records and Registration Office's website.

When can I register for a minor program?

You can register in the minor after major declaration and no later than the last day of add/drop period in the first regular term of your final year of study.

Assessment in University

What is the grading system of course assessment?

Course grading details can be found at here.

Can I retake a course if I receive an F grade in first attempt?

If the course you failed is a required course of your major program and cannot be replaced, you MUST retake and pass it. If you fail it again in your second attempt, you will be subjected to dismissal. If the course is not required, you may optionally choose to retake it to improve your grade average. F grades in first attempt will still be reflected on your transcript. Starting from 2018-19 cohort, when a failed course is repeated, both the previous F grade and the course grade of the repeated attempt, which are wieghted equally, will be included in the calculation of the TGA and CGA. While the previous F grade will not be included in the MCGA caluculation if the repeated course is to be used to fulfill major or corresponding school/IPO requirement. For 2017-18 intake or before, this previous F grade will not be included in the calculation of grade averages when the course is repeated.

Who are eligible to be placed on Dean’s List at the end of a Term?

Student is eligible if he/she enrolls for at least 12 credits in a term, obtain a Term Grade Average (TGA) of at least 3.7, do not fail in any course and do not commit any confirmed act of academic dishonesty.

If I failed a course, can I still graduate with First Class Honors?

Students with uncleared course failures (i.e.'F' grades not subsequently converted into a passing grade) during their study at the University may not be considered for the award of First Class Honors by their Schools and departments. Students should contact us or departments for further details.

Campus Resources

Are there any enrichment programs for Science students?

Yes, School of Science offers varied enrichment programs for students with different interests. You may login mySCI and our Facebook fan page regularly to have updated information about enrichment programs. Another best way for you to keep updated of enrichment programs offered by other departments is checking your email regularly.

Where can I get information about international exchange program for Science students?

The application procedures and program information for Fall and Spring Term can be found on the Exchange Program's website. You should also check email regularly to receive updated information about summer exchange opportunities. Information of other supplementary activities such as information session and exchange students’ sharing session will be spread through email as well.

How can I locate a classroom in HKUST campus?

Online path advisor is useful for you.

How to apply for Tertiary Student Finance Scheme (TSFS) and Non-Mean Tested Loan Scheme (NLS)?

Information of application for the TSFS and NLS is on the website of Student Financial Assistance Agency. Any enquiry can also be sent to Scholarship and Financial Aid Office at sfao.fa@ust.hk.